Dallas and I finally got a chance to talk on Skype today.  It was so good to be able to see his face and hear his voice.  Since he’s been in Cluj, he’s been able to get on his computer and talk to me on Facebook chat, and when he’s in some of the public areas of the university, he has access to a wi-fi network so he can contact me through iMessage when he’s got a little time.  He’s been taking a lot of photos with his phone (he didn’t take another camera with him) and uploading them to Facebook via his computer because there’s no wi-fi in his room.  I tried to Skype him from his mom’s iPad first, but we couldn’t hear each other.  When I switched to using my phone to Skype him it was a lot better.  We talked for about half an hour, then I let him go because I hadn’t eaten since 6:30 this morning and his fellow students invited him to go out to a beer garden with them and they were getting ready to leave.

It feels like it should be a lot later in the day than it is.  I couldn’t fall asleep until after 11:30 last night and then woke up at 5:15.  My alarm was set for 5:45, and I figured that since I was awake, I could just go ahead and shut it off.  Then, of course, I dozed back off right before my alarm would have gone off if I’d left it on.  Luckily there was enough noise in the kitchen and living room for me to wake up around 6 and get ready.  One of our dogs, Bo, is not feeling very well.  He has a bad heart, which we already have to worry a lot about, and something bothered his stomach this morning.  Before work I discovered four distinct puddles of vomit on the dining room carpet (of course it was on the carpet, the tiled part of the entryway is only a few feet from where he threw up), then he got sick at least two more times that I know of.  He got some kind of shot that made him a little sleepy, but he is up walking around and being his usual sweet self now.  I only worked until noon, but with not sleeping last night and worrying about poor Bo, I could really go for a nap right now.  Or a pint of ice cream.  THE ENTIRE PINT.

Tomorrow morning I’m going to a substitute teacher training workshop, then back off to work in the afternoon.  I don’t know how much I’ll use my new certification, because honestly, I don’t live close enough to that many schools, and the districts here want you to jump through so many hoops to even get on the substitute call list.  For one of the districts I’ve looked at, I’d have to send reference forms to three previous employers.  That, in my case, would mean getting in touch with people who last employed me upwards of five years ago, probably can’t remember enough about me to fill out the form, and probably got rid of my personnel file years ago so they can’t look at that for guidance.  I have to find a notebook and pens amongst the clutter I have packed away.  It’s going to feel so weird to sit in a lecture hall taking notes, but I can use the certification in most counties in Georgia (so even though it’s not much use to me at this particular point in time, it could be in the future if we stay in Georgia),  and it’s only going to cost me $35, so why not?

Definitely going to bed early tonight.  Well…that’s what I’ve been telling myself for the last few nights, and it hasn’t happened yet.  Definitely trying to go to bed early tonight.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s